Carrollton | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Mar 31, 2003 · History. Before white settlement, the Carrollton area was home to the Creek Indians. One of their chiefs, William McIntosh, who resided south of Carrollton along the Chattahoochee River, was murdered there in 1825 for his lead role in signing away the remaining Creek lands east of the Mississippi River. Carroll County was created in 1826.
Actived: Tuesday Apr 13, 2021
Georgia History: Overview | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) The human history of Georgia begins well before the founding of the colony, with Native American cultures that date back to the Paleoindian Period at the end of the Ice Age, nearly 13,000 years ago. The Clovis culture, identified by its unique projectile points, is …
Long County | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Sep 16, 2005 · History. Originally the western portion of St. John's Parish, the land along the Altamaha River (earlier spelled "Alatamaha") was an important frontier boundary protecting the Georgia colony from the Spanish and Native Americans to the south and west.
Alliance Theatre | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) The Alliance Theatre, the largest regional theater in the Southeast, is recognized nationwide as a great critical and commercial success. More than 255,000 people attend Alliance productions each season at the theater's home in the Woodruff Arts Center on Peachtree Street in Midtown Atlanta, adjacent to the High Museum of Art.The company shows eleven productions annually: each season the ...
Methodist Church: Overview | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Alfred Mann Pierce, A History of Methodism in Georgia, February 5, 1736-June 24, 1955 (Atlanta: North Georgia Conference Historical Society, 1956). Sonny Seals and George Hart, Historic Rural Churches of Georgia (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 2016).
Warren County | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Aug 30, 2006 · Warren County, comprising 286 square miles, was created in 1793 in the east central part of the state from Burke, Columbia, Washington, and Wilkes counties. Later, parts of Warren County were used to create Glascock County and parts of Jefferson, McDuffie, and Taliaferro counties. Georgia's sixteenth county is named after Joseph Warren, a colonial physician and Revolutionary War (1775-83) …
Jonesboro | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Jul 10, 2003 · The Stately Oaks Plantation museum complex, built around an 1839 plantation house, offers insight into the area's history through daily tours and a succession of special events including arts, crafts, living history demonstrations, and an annual reenactment of the Battle of Jonesboro.
The Sacred Harp | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) The Sacred Harp uses notation developed by the progressive New England singing masters William Little and William Smith, who published the Easy Instructor in 1801. Their shape-note system was designed to teach sight-reading and enable users to sing complex, sophisticated music.
Americus | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Jul 18, 2003 · The only privately capitalized railroad in Georgia history was built in 1884 by an Americus lawyer and banker, Samuel H. Hawkins. By the time his financial empire collapsed in 1893, it had become the Savannah, Americus, and Montgomery Railroad. Another banker, Moses Speer, was responsible for the erection of the Windsor Hotel in 1892. ...
Crisp County | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Jan 27, 2006 · History The area now forming Crisp County was once a province called Chisi, Ichisi, or Achese, which was inhabited by the Lower Creek division of the Muskogee Indians. The first Europeans visited the area in 1540, when Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto and his followers passed through.
Creek Indians | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) The history of early Georgia is largely the history of the Creek Indians. For most of Georgia's colonial period, Creeks outnumbered both European colonists and enslaved Africans and occupied more land than these newcomers. Not until the 1760s did the Creeks become a minority population in Georgia.
Savannah | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) design, the first step in the creation of Georgia, which received its charter from King George II in April 1732, as the thirteenth and last of England's American colonies. In November 1732 Oglethorpe, with 114 colonists, sailed from England on the Anne.
Clay County | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Sep 08, 2004 · Frontier Village in Fort Gaines is an unusual collection of log structures moved from locations throughout the county. It is located on the bluff 130 feet above the Chattahoochee. The entire city is on the National Register of Historic Places. Two private history museums are available for tours by appointment only.
Dalton | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Dalton, the carpet capital of the world, is located eighty miles north of Atlanta and thirty miles south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, in the Valley and Ridge province of northwest Georgia. It is the seat of Whitfield County, at the southern end of the Blue Ridge Mountains.More than 80 percent of the tufted carpet manufactured in America is produced within a 100-mile radius of Dalton.
Newnan | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Newnan sits on land that originally belonged to the Lower Creek Indian Nation. Chief William McIntosh ceded the land to the federal government in the Treaty of Indian Springs in 1825. After the treaty was signed, Coweta County was established, and the settlement of Bullsboro, two miles east of present-day Newnan, was named the county seat.
Providence Canyon | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) History. Although . Providence Canyon. the appearance of Providence Canyon evokes comparisons to the landscape of the American Southwest, its history is unique. The canyon consists of huge gullies sculpted of soil, not by the action of a river or stream but by rainwater runoff from farm fields.
History of Historic Preservation | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Oct 17, 2016 · Historic preservation officially began in Georgia in the aftermath of World War II (1941-45), when growing prosperity led to new development that threatened to destroy the state's historic environment. Along with several other states in the 1950s, Georgia established a program, the Georgia Historical Commission (GHC), to mark places with historical associations.
Spalding County | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Oct 26, 2018 · Early History. The incorporated communities in Spalding County are Griffin, Orchard Hill, and Sunny Side. The county seat is Griffin, where the current county courthouse was built in 1985. Griffin was incorporated in 1843, when it was located in Pike County. Known as Pleasant Grove until 1841, the town was first settled in the mid-1820s.
Watkinsville | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Methodist Church has played a prominent role in the city's history and founded a cemetery there in the early 1800s. Watkinsville was the birthplace of two famous Methodists, Bishop Atticus G. Haygood in 1839 and his sister, Laura Haygood, in 1845. Laura Haygood became one of the first Christian missionaries to China and the principal of an Atlanta girls' school.
Eatonton | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) earliest known community in the Eatonton area was a Creek Indian town, Cusseta, whose chief, Bird Tail, signed the Treaty of New York on behalf of his people in 1790. Named after William Eaton, soldier, diplomat, and undercover agent, the town was incorporated in 1809 and remains the sole incorporated city in Putnam County.
Perry | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) the seat of Houston County, is sometimes called the "Crossroads of Georgia" because the Interstate 75 and U.S. Highway 41 corridors run north-south and U.S. Highway 341 runs northwest-southeast through the city. In 1986 Perry adopted the council-manager form of government, with seven operating departments.According to the 2010 U.S. census Perry's population was 13,839.
Hawkinsville | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Dec 03, 2005 · The seat of Pulaski County, Hawkinsville lies in south central Georgia on the banks of the Ocmulgee River.Situated about forty-six miles south of Macon, Hawkinsville plays a significant role in the state's agriculture, industry, and tourism sectors.According to the 2010 U.S. census, Hawkinsville's population was 4,589.
Stone Mountain | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Oct 31, 2016 · 1821 Treaty of Indian Springs opened settlement for European Americans. These whites settled the base of Stone Mountain in the late 1820s, and the town was officially named Stone Mountain in 1847. The building of railroads in the 1830s and 1840s allowed local farmers to participate in the larger market economy.
Ludowici | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) The small town of Ludowici, incorporated in 1905, remains the only incorporated municipality in rural Long County, located in east Georgia.It was designated the county seat in 1920, when Long County was created from the western portion of Liberty County.Located between Hinesville and Jesup, Ludowici is accessible by U.S. highways 25, 84, and 301.
Sumter County | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Oct 26, 2018 · During the camp's fourteen-month existence, some 45,000 Union prisoners suffered some of the worst conditions and highest casualties of any of the camps. Today Andersonville National Historic Site serves as a memorial to all American prisoners of war throughout the nation's history.
Georgia Music Hall of Fame | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) the late 1980s a movement took shape to honor Georgia's musical legends. Under Zell Miller's leadership the legislature allocated $6.5 million for the project. The city of Macon offered to donate property for the new building, and the Georgia Music Hall of Fame Authority was created in 1991 to begin the project.
Gainesville State College | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) This article chronicles the history of Gainesville State from its founding until the time of the merger. Founded in 1964, Gainesville State College is the only publicly supported two-year college in northeast Georgia. Consequently, it has long served as a critical point of access to higher education for both young people and adults residing in ...
Massie Heritage Center | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Oct 03, 2002 · Massie's heritage education program was designed to build citizenship through learning about local history, the city's architectural styles, and Savannah's remarkable city plan, Massie Heritage Center . which supports multiple uses and diverse economic and social groups living side by side. The teaching installations, which became Massie's ...
Restoration Movement | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Dec 10, 2005 · Restoration Movement began in several places on the frontiers in Kentucky and southwest Pennsylvania. The success of the Cane Ridge Revival (a Kentucky camp meeting) persuaded Barton Warren Stone, who had taught school in Georgia, that all denominations needed to work together in order to reap the harvest of souls on the frontier.Together with several other ministers, he organized …
Turner County | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Oct 25, 2018 · County, in central Georgia, is the state's 145th county and comprises 286 square miles. It was created in 1905 from Dooly, Irwin, Wilcox, and Worth counties, and named for Henry Gray Turner, a Confederate veteran, U.S. congressman, and justice on the Supreme Court of Georgia.The original inhabitants were Creek and Seminole Indians, who lost their land in the Seminole Wars.
Elbert County | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Oct 31, 2018 · John B. McIntosh, The Official History of Elbert County, 1790-1935 (Atlanta: Cherokee, 1968). Clay Ouzts, "'The Man Who Builded on a Rock Was Wise': The Genesis of Elberton's Granite Industry, 1882-1900," Georgia Historical Quarterly 86 (winter 2002). Herbert Wilcox, Georgia Scribe: Selected Columns by Herbert Wilcox (Atlanta: Cherokee, 1974).
Piedmont College | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Nov 03, 2006 · Piedmont College, a private liberal arts institution, was founded in 1897 to serve residents of the Appalachian area of northeast Georgia. Today, with campuses located in Demorest and Athens, the college provides undergraduate and graduate degree programs for about 2,800 students from across Georgia and around the world.
Cooperative Extension Service | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) History. The Cooperative Extension Service was established in 1914. The congressional legislation that enabled this kind of cooperation nationwide, the Smith-Lever Act, created a means to deliver useful and practical agricultural and home economics information to all Americans.
Greensboro | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) The city's history illustrates the struggle, common to many small towns in the rural South, to emerge from the shadow of a cash-crop monoculture. Located between the Ogeechee and Oconee rivers in Georgia's formerly rich cotton belt, Greensboro lies at the heart of Greene County, halfway between Atlanta and …
Athens | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Early History. Athens was founded by a committee. In 1785 the state legislature made a bold step to endow a "college or seminary of learning," thereby initiating the concept of state-supported higher education. View of Athens from Carr's Hill.
Heritage Education | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Apr 15, 2005 · education grew out of the nationwide historic preservation initiative that began in the late 1960s, when people began to realize the importance of the built environment, its ability to provide people with a sense of history and place, and its importance as a tangible link to our history. Preservationists saw the need to educate people about their past by using the built environment as a classroom.
Atlanta | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) For much of its history Atlanta could be described as a biracial city, with whites and Blacks constituting the vast majority of the resident population. In 1940 only 1.4 percent of Atlanta's population was foreign-born, and this figure was little changed a decade later. In the early 1980s, however, the ethnic and racial landscape of the city ...
Etowah Mounds | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Adam King, Etowah: The Political History of a Chiefdom Capital (Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama, 2003). Warren King Moorehead, ed., Exploration of the Etowah Site in Georgia: The Etowah Papers, (Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2000).
Atlanta Technical College | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Atlanta Technical College is located in southwest Atlanta, in Fulton County.The school's service delivery area covers all of Fulton County south of the Chattahoochee River and Clayton County.Atlanta Tech offers programs in the fields of health and human services; business, media, and information technology; and skilled trades.
Decatur | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) The Old Courthouse on the square houses a museum covering DeKalb County history and featuring Civil War (1861-65) memorabilia. A time capsule created by the DeKalb Historical Society is held in the courthouse; it is to be opened in 2022.
Natural History of the Okefenokee Swamp | New Georgia ...
Posted: (0 seconds ago) The swamp has a distinctive and fascinating natural history. Cypress swamps, winding waterways, and floating peat mats are a major part of the Okefenokee's habitat mosaic. Wet and dry prairies, swamps dominated by shrubs, and forests of black gum and bay trees intersperse the array of other habitats. A high ridge of sand known as Trail Ridge ...
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Sep 27, 2004 · History. The first ensemble to bear the title Atlanta Symphony Orchestra premiered on October 7, 1923, with sixty players drawn from pit orchestras of the Howard and Metropolitan Theaters. The group presented a series of Sunday afternoon concerts under New York conductor Enrico Leide. The advent of talking motion pictures and the subsequent ...
Atlanta Journal-Constitution | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Early History of the Journal The Atlanta Journal , an afternoon paper under the banner of founder E. F. Hoge, entered the city's newspaper war early in 1883. Hoge had invested in the latest printing presses, which turned out a sparkling product, but it was old-fashioned reporting that propelled his newspaper in …
Albert B. Saye (1912-1989) | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Oct 31, 2018 · Albert B. Saye, professor of political science at the University of Georgia (UGA), was one of the most well-known scholars of Georgia history and politics. He was the author of twelve books, six of which focused on Georgia history. Among his top-selling books were his Handbook on the Constitutions of the United States and Georgia (1946), which was revised eleven times, and Principles of ...
Public Education (PreK-12) | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Sep 27, 2004 · the state constitution has compelled public support of education since 1777 and the state's first government-supported high school opened in Augusta in 1783, Georgia did little to provide for public education in the state. A "poor school fund" was established in 1822, but its benefits proved limited. Several towns and cities provided free schooling to local children.
Reinhardt University | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Jan 02, 2004 · The curriculum of language, mathematics, science, history, and religion was designed to train teachers and preachers. The first class graduated in 1888. In 1891 the state legislature issued a charter for Reinhardt Normal College. At that time approximately 200 elementary- to college-aged students were enrolled.
Morris Museum of Art | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Sep 10, 2002 · The Morris Museum of Art opened in 1992 as the first museum in the country dedicated to documenting the art and artists of the South. Located on the riverfront in downtown Augusta, the museum seeks to preserve and enhance a regional cultural legacy by showcasing the history of painting in the South through a broad-based survey collection of paintings and drawings.
Lottie Moon (1840-1912) | New Georgia Encyclopedia
Posted: (0 seconds ago) Oct 25, 2016 · History & Archaeology. Counties, Cities & Neighborhoods. Science & Medicine. Education. Sports & Outdoor Recreation. Geography & Environment. People. From Our Home Page. Historic Savannah Foundation. Historic Savannah Foundation. Historic Savannah Foundation is a local, private, nonprofit, preservation organization chartered in 1955 to preserve ...